How To Win A Hot Dog Eating Contest
If you are planning to participate in a local or national level hot dog eating contest, you need to understand that winning such a contest is not as easy as it may seem. Winning a hot dog eating contest requires a lot of hard work, dedication and strategy. If you enter a hot dog eating contest without preparing properly, or abiding by the correct precautions, participating in such a contest can prove to be dangerous.
If you seriously want to win this contest, you need to train your body accordingly. This oneHOWTO article will tell you how to win a hot dog eating contest.
You need to be healthy
Before you participate in a hot dog eating competition, you need to make sure that you are healthy enough to handle the consumption of so much food in such a short amount of time. Competitive eating may lead to serious health related issues, such as: choking, stomach paralysis, gastrointestinal tract problems etc. You should never enter an eating contest unless you are over 18.
We recommend visiting your doctor before participating in a hot dog eating contest. Your doctor should be able to confirm whether you are physically capable of competing in such a contest.
The right eating contest for you
Search for a hot dog eating contest that you may be interested in attending, specific to your needs. Before you start preparing for a competition, check to find if there is any upcoming contest near you. You can check for these contests online. Aim for a competition that is at least 2-4 months away from the day of searching. This will give you the time you need to improve your health and develop your training program.
Many contests ask for a registration fee beforehand. Therefore it is important that you make sure you have your cash or credit card ready for payment. Also make sure that the contest you are considering participating in provides medical staff at the site, in case a participant encounters a safety issue. In addition to these, you need to understand that not all contests have the same rules. This means that is important you read through and check all of their regulations and requirements.
Some contests may have specific skill or age requirements for registration. There may be certain rules that you need to follow, such as; not being allowed to listen to music or dunk your bun into water. Understanding these rules beforehand will be beneficial in training yourself appropriately.
How to train for a hot dog eating contest
Once registered to a contest, you need to train yourself properly in order to be successful. Here are a few things we recommend incorporating into your preparation and training:
- Regular exercise: It is important to exercise regularly in order to maintain your health. You may not be able to see the connection between exercise and an eating contest, but this connection is in fact vital. This is because exercising regularly is imperative for keeping away unwanted weight gain and increasing your metabolism. If you talk to a hot dog eating champion, they will tell you that weight training and cardio exercise are their regular training workouts.
- Chewing gum: Chewing gum regularly is very important in strengthening your chewing muscles. If you learn the art of chewing quickly, you will gain a competitive edge at the competition. Whenever you are not eating your food, try to chew some gum. Try to chew an entire stick at a time, as it will give your jaw a more intense workout. Competitive eating competitions champions can eat as many as 25 chewing gym sticks at a time.
- Drink more water: A doctor will be able to tell you the safe rate at which you should increase the amount of water which you consume. Increasing your drinking capacity will gradually improve the capacity for your stomach. Set goals and challenge yourself. If your body is not used to drinking huge amounts of water at one time, suddenly, your risk of disturbing your electrolyte balance increases significantly. As a result, you may become: dizzy, unconscious, or even enter a state of shock.
- Increase consumption of low calorie foods: Eating more low-calorie foods will also increase the capacity of your stomach. Some good options for this include; watermelon, leafy greens and steamed veggies. But, make sure that you keep a good balance between your consumption of food and water. If your food and water intake is not balanced, it may have significant effects on your health and electrolyte levels.
- Train yourself to swallow big chunks of food: Increase the size of your water gulps. Once you are able to drink big gulps of water, you can then try to gulp down semi-solid foods like: soup and yogurt. You can then gradually start trying to swallow solid foods as well. Make sure that when practicing this, you always have someone with you that can help you in case you choke. While swallowing rapidly, remember to constantly breath through your nose.
- Find your perfect technique to eat hot dog quickly: Practice different strategies on how you can consume the most amount of hot dogs in the shortest amount of time. Some popular strategies include:
- Soaking buns in water before you eat them.
- Breaking buns and hot dogs into halves before you eat them.
- Eating the sausage first.
- Making a small ball of the bun before you eat them.
- Breaking the buns into different sizes and finding the most comfortable size for you to swallow.
- Changing your position and posture while eating the hot dog.
- Challenge yourself: While you are preparing for an upcoming hot dog eating contest, challenge yourself by arranging a few mock competitions exclusively for yourself. Make sure that you follow the rules of the competition in order to accustom yourself to them.
After trying different strategies, you will find the most suitable one for you. With practice, you will be able to eliminate any uncomfortable movements, in turn increasing your speed and capacity. For instance, if you always grab the hot dog with your right hand, keep them on the right hand side of the table to reduce reach time.
A few days before the competition
When competition day is approaching, start preparing for it at least three days in advance. Minimize the amount of food you eat and try to survive on semi-solid foods and fluids. This will allow you to create the maximum amount of space in your stomach. If you are aiming to change your food habits drastically, we recommend consulting your doctor beforehand.
Some competitors decide to fast for three days before a competition. Most contests are organized and take place outdoors. Heat decreases appetite, therefore, try and avoid the sun beforehand. Sit in an air-conditioned room or car until the competition starts. Dousing yourself in ice water is also a strategy which people use to gain an edge in a hot dog eating contest.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Win A Hot Dog Eating Contest, we recommend you visit our Toys & Games category.