Absurd Questions to Ask Friends
There are questions in life which can seem absurd, but sometimes it is these very questions which can be most revelatory. They can also just be a lot of fun. Sometimes these questions can seem nonsensical to us, but the person asking them has a motive which means the answer will be illuminating. Just because the question may not seem logical or rational to us, doesn't mean they aren't working to a different logic. Absurdity can also be very funny, so asking and answering absurd questions can help us to sharpen our wit and have a great time.
Whether you want to find out some existential truths, provide some icebreakers at a party, entertain your friends or even better know someone close to you, oneHOWTO has our list of 60+ absurd questions to ask friends and partners.
Absurd questions with no clear answer
Reflecting on life can lead you to ask yourself existential questions. It can also lead to having some funny thoughts you might want to share with others via a question. Sometimes the most banal aspects of our lives can reveal fundamental aspects of our character we have previously not considered. When asking the absurd questions below to your friends or partner, remember there isn't always a definite answer.
- Knowing that 'ordinary' is synonymous with 'common', why doesn't 'extraordinary' have among its meanings 'very common'?
- If the remote control doesn't work, why do we press the buttons harder?
- Why do we place value on that which has a higher price?
- Could I stop showering and drinking water to save the environment?
- Why am I attracted to cold people who do not give in relationships?
- Why do I wake up minutes before the alarm goes off?
- Why am I looking for a partner if my experiences have been a disaster?
- Why do I look at my cell phone when I could be living instead?
- If you can watch the weather out the window, why do you watch the weather on television?
- Why do beautiful people find a partner more easily if love is blind?
- Is it an award for a masochist to be tortured or to go to jail?
- What time is it on the moon?
- Where is the mind located?
- If plums are black, why are they red when they are green?
- What's the point of crossing your fingers for luck?
Here we provide some more ideas to ask friends with the best ‘this or that’ questions.
Absurd questions for kids
Some of the questions we ask kids seem absurd at a young age, but when we think about them, the answers can help us understand larger concepts. It is an important part of growing and developing. Children not only have a natural curiosity, they have the ability to look at the world in a refreshing way.
Here we provide some seemingly absurd questions to ask kids or friends with some typical answers. However, the most important thing is to see what they answer:
- What gets bigger the more you take away? A hole.
- What has for fingers and a thumb, but is not alive? A glove.
- Who can't lose in a soccer game? The referee.
- What months of the year with 28 days? All of them.
- What does everyone do when they wake up? Open their eyes.
- What is it that anyone can take, but no one can take away? The sun.
- What number is worth 0 if you take away half of it? 8.
- What would it take for 5 people not to get wet with a single umbrella? For it not to rain.
- What is the color of the sleeves on Adrian's red gilet? Nothing because gilets do not have sleeves.
- Who can speak any language on the planet? An echo.
- Which direction does the steam of an electric train go when the train reverses? Nowhere, electric trains don't give off smoke.
- What do we see less of the bigger it is? Darkness.
- What do you find in the middle of a month? The letter ‘N’.
- Where does Thursday appear earlier than Wednesday? In a dictionary.
- How can you fill a keg so that it weighs less? Fill it with holes.
Funny absurd questions
Within these curious or absurd questions there is also room for humor. Sometimes just thinking of the answer to a question can be hilarious. These are great absurd questions to ask your friends or a partner as they can either help you share a laugh or even find out something new about someone close to you:
- If you were given the power to travel in time, would you travel to the future or to the past?
- You have 10 seconds to have any wish granted, what is it? (Have to answer in time).
- What is your biggest fantasy?
- How would you react if a stranger kissed you on the street?
- What madness have you done or would you do for love?
- What is the first thing you would do if you won the lottery tomorrow?
- What name would you have given yourself?
- If you had to live without one of the five senses, what would it be?
- What would you change in the world if you could?
- What would you eat or drink every day without consequence?
- If you could develop one superpower, what would it be?
- What area of your body do you like the most? Why?
- If you could see a person naked and chosen by you, who would it be?
- What is it that gets on your nerves?
- What would your perfect day be?
Here we have some more general ideas if you want to know the best questions to start a conversation.
Absurd questions for Instagram
Social networks are practically design for absurd questions. When you think about it, the whole enterprise is quite absurd. If you want to engage with your followers, asking them funny questions is a good way to receive responses. This can help boost your profile. It is also a great way to pass sometime online when you are bored. Below we offer you some absurd questions to ask on Instagram, but you can use them on other platforms such as TikTok, Facebook or Twitter:
- Can I cry underwater?
- Would you rather come across a swarm of bees or a bear?
- Spend the rest of your life with an ex or a year in jail?
- Sleep with the bedroom door closed or open?
- Invite me to dinner?
- Have you ever farted in an elevator?
- Sleep after being very tired or eat after being very hungry?
- Would you rather be handsome and dumb or ugly and smart?
- Know the cause or the date of your death?
- Have you been unfaithful?
- Which character are you from a series or movie?
- Tea or coffee?
- Beauty or intelligence?
- Love or money?
- Dogs or cats?
Find out more questions for social media with our article on the best Instagram poll questions.
If you want to read similar articles to Absurd Questions to Ask Friends, we recommend you visit our Toys & Games category.